6-Day, 5-Night all inclusive Artist Retreat with Workshops held at Beautiful Lake Logan Retreat Center, Canton, North Carolina WORKSHOP WITH: Leisa Rich: Textile Artist August 20 - 25, 2018 Cost – $1,675 – all inclusive Leave the details of
6-Day, 5-Night all inclusive Artist Retreat with Workshops held at Beautiful Lake Logan Retreat Center, Canton, North Carolina
Leisa Rich: Textile Artist
August 20 – 25, 2018
Cost – $1,675 – all inclusive
Leave the details of life behind and give yourself a creative retreat. Supported by the splendor of unspoiled nature, you will be given the time and serenity to refill your creative well.
Beautiful Serene Setting
Comfortable Cottages and Cabins
3 Healthy Savory Meals Each Day
Morning Mindfulness Sessions
Evening Presentations & Conversations
2 Afternoon Yoga Sessions
Massages by Appointment
A Time to Remember~
Workshop with Leisa Rich
Paper, Rock, Scissors: Dimensional Paintings on Paper and Fabric
This dynamic paper, paint and textiles-based workshop will feature painting, printing, marbling, heat transfer, collage and titch techniques on various substrates to build texture and create strong visual impact.
The session kicks off with methods of painting and printing on a variety of papers and fabrics to lay down a base of color and pattern from which to build. Use acrylic, fabric paints, and dyes, and apply with brushes, sponges, and rollers; take advantage of the stunning natural surroundings to print with solar (sun) dyes using resist processes; experiment with marbling — a process of creating beautiful aqueous surface designs in stone, swirled and combed patterns – and add in details with oil pastels and drawing tools. Inspiration for mark making will be all around us!
In addition, images emailed to Leisa prior to the workshop will be pre-printed by her onto heat transfer paper and you will use them to build additional visuals on your works using heat to affix. Lastly, you will learn the basics of free motion machine embroidery and hand embroidery. Adding this element by building dimension and texture and highlighting areas of visual interest – using materials such as hemp, embroidery floss, threads, yarn, or other interesting cording.
Intensive interaction with Leisa means that your own personal creative style will be encouraged, and she will assist you in tailoring the techniques learned to your artistic vision. The emphasis is on stretching yourself and leaving with many new skills and ideas for further studio exploration. This is an advanced workshop, so some knowledge of basic painting and color theory will be expected.
This workshop suits the crafter to the professional, painters and fiber artists. Applications of the techniques can be in the art field, wearable art, quilting and surface design/fibers.
Leisa Rich is an experimental artist working in 2D, sculptural, installation and viewer interactive format. Using the detritus of society, unique methods on common materials, fiber art-based techniques including Free Motion Stitching — a method of “painting” with thread using a sewing machine — and 3D printing, she engages the viewer tactilely and visually. Textile Nature, The Art of Nature, 3D Mixed Media Textile Art, Textile Art Around the World,Mastering the Art of Embroidery, The Best of America Sculptureand Noplaceness: Art in a Post-Urban Landscape, and featured in numerous magazines, zines, on-line, and in televised interviews that include PBS. She has pieces in the permanent collections of Delta Airlines, Inc., Emory Healthcare, The Dallas Museum of Art, The Kamm Foundation, The University of North Texas, The University of Texas- Pan American and in private collections. She recently published her first children’s book, Animal Alphabet Traveling Twisters. Leisa sells her work in Atlanta at Signature Gallery. www.monaleisa.com
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- 5 nights lodging in a charming shared cabin or cottage with private bedroom – beautifully furnished and on the lake.
- All meals cooked by wonderful chef – healthy and delicious.
- Hot tea and coffee any time or day
- 24 hour access to the studios
- Opening reception with wine and non-alcoholic beverages
- Optional Enrichment Sessions: morning mindfulness sessions, two afternoon soft impact yoga sessions, massages by appointment, fire circle with music, canoeing, wonderful walks
- Studio Support Supplies
- Workshops with dedicated, inspiring artist-instructors
- Renewal and Refreshment among other creative spirits!
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Transportation (we will arrange Asheville airport pick-up for 3 or more students)
- Personal Art Supplies
- Wireless is available only in 3 community spaces: the dining hall, the lodge and the Studios
- Cell service is unavailable – land lines are in each cabin and can be used with a phone card
PAYMENT AND REFUND POLICIES
- A full refund is made if the event is canceled or already full at the time of registration.
- Registrations for a retreat must be accompanied by a 50% deposit.
- Withdraws made up to 6 weeks before the Retreat will be refunded less a registration-cancellation fee of 20% of the deposit.
- After the 6 weeks out date, there are no refunds, but your deposit may be transferred to a friend or family member or be applied to another CMA program or workshop in that same calendar year.
- The remaining balance is due six weeks prior to the retreat. You will be sent an invoice two weeks prior to the final payment due date.
- Registrations made after the 6 weeks out date must be accompanied by payment in full.
- We highly recommend purchasing trip cancellation insurance from your travel agent in the event of a medical emergency
Thank you for your registration!
Cullowhee Artscontact@cullowheemountainarts.org 598W Main Street, Sylva, North Carolina, 28779
Lake Logan25 Wormy Chestnut LnLake Logan lies in a pristine valley near the Blue Ridge Parkway where visitors experience the serenity of God’s glorious gifts in a 260-acre sanctuary. Lake Logan Conference Center lends itself well to hosting spiritual retreats, conferences, and seminars, as well as offering a beautiful and serene place to rest, relax, and recreate. All are welcome to this special place, where the power of nature's bounty nourishes, restores, and rejuvenates.